Beyond the Pitch
Why You Shouldn’t Take the Money. The Other Side of Business Valuations & Investments @ Innovate New Albany
Part of the TIGER Talks Series:
Randy Gerber will discuss why entrepreneurs in the early stages of business should stay away from investor dollars and partners, and how doing so will improve their odds of long term business success.
Issues we will discuss:
- Why entrepreneurs need to consider the root issue of WHY they are getting a valuation
- Are they getting one because it’s need or is ego playing a role in the decision?
- The real reasons you need a valuation – dissolving partnership, divorce, etc.
- Why the majority of entrepreneurs shouldn’t take investor funding:
- What happens when you give up stake in your business
- The cost of getting an investor vs the amount of capital you actually receive
- The difficulties of maintaining investors
- How an investor with no entrepreneurial experience can negatively impact your business
- What entrepreneurs should do instead of taking funding
- The benefits of boot strapping and using loans
- The types of loans you should use
- Why entrepreneurs should think of their business in terms of a 10-year plan
Randy Gerber is the founder and principal of Gerber LLC, a professional services firm working exclusively with first-generation entrepreneurs.
Founding Gerber, LLC shortly after graduating from The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business in 1991, Randy has made a conscious effort to be a part of Columbus’ entrepreneurial community, helping to shape business leaders for over two decades.
Accompanying his business degree and formal training in investment fiduciary responsibility, Gerber ascribes much of his company’s success on the brand’s customized, holistic approach to business planning. Gerber partners with clients to plan for business growth, bringing clarity to each entrepreneur’s life goals, and then putting holistic plans in place designed to help make it happen.
11:30a – Networking
12:00p – Speaker
1:00p – Group Meeting Concludes & Networking Resumes
Free! (Lunch included)
Search Our Blog
Get startup tips and resources delivered directly to your inbox.
Tips for turning a concept into a company
From honing your pitch to getting your first customer
How and where to get the cash you need to grow
The Hard Stuff
How to navigate hiring, taxes, legal and more
The Network Effect
Making the right connections at the right time
The news and trends that matter to you
Rev1 News & Events
The latest buzz and networking opportunities