Beyond the Pitch
How to Create a Business Plan That Grows
To grow a great business, you need a great plan. Or at the very least, some plan. In this session, we’ll walk through the components of a robust business plan that addresses the five key areas your business will need to navigate to reach growth and success:
- Product: What problem does your product solve? How will you validate the key features of a minimum viable product? How will you build the MVP and later versions of the product?
- Market: What is the market opportunity? What is your path to customers? What is the competition?
- Business: What is your business model? What is your cost of customer acquisition? How will you make money?
- Team: Who do you need on your management team and how will you get them to join you?
- Capital: How much capital will your business need? How will you fund the company now and in the future?
Michael Kindrat-Pratt – Senior Director, State Auto Labs Fund. Mike manages the State Auto Labs Fund, a $25mm corporate venture capital fund that invests nationally in the insurtech vertical. He works closely with the State Auto Labs team on due diligence, valuation, investment terms, closing, and portfolio management. Mike has 7 years of early-stage investment experience, investing in 50 portfolio companies over that period via venture capital funds and angel funds. Mike is a member of Venture Ohio’s NextGen VC group, has been a mentor and judge at Columbus Startup Weekends and Startup Week, and has spoken at several Angel Capital Association Summits. Mike holds a BS with concentrations in finance and accounting from Boston College’s Carroll School of Management.
Bob Wiggins – Senior VP Venture Acceleration, Information Technologies. A serial entrepreneur and venture capitalist, over his 35 year career, Bob has led several start-ups, served on dozens of start-up boards, and been a successful (and sometimes unsuccessful) angel and venture investor. Bob has a BS in economics from the University of Oregon and a JD degree from the University of Oregon School of Law.
Search Our Blog
Get startup tips and resources delivered directly to your inbox.
Tips for turning a concept into a company
From honing your pitch to getting your first customer
How and where to get the cash you need to grow
The Hard Stuff
How to navigate hiring, taxes, legal and more
The Network Effect
Making the right connections at the right time
The news and trends that matter to you
Rev1 News & Events
The latest buzz and networking opportunities